This is one of my favorite times of year, VALENTINES! Well it also might be because my birthday is only a few days before, but I love that I get to use cute hearts, and fun decorations to celebrate my birthday! This is one of my very favorite recipes that I like to make around my birthday or for valentines morning breakfast.
A few years ago, well a lot really now that I think on it. Actually when I was just married soooo, 10+ years ago, yikes! A dear friend of mine Beth invited me over for coffee and some hang time and she had these amazing scones. Like nothing I had ever eaten. They were soft, moist scones filled with yummy dried fruit. Oh yeah, and a sprinkling of white chocolate chips. Yum! Since then I have been making this recipe in variation. Many people have requested this recipe from me since. I can’t wait for you to make your own special batch. Just add whatever yummy dried fruit or nuts you like. You will not be sorry. I have made the following:
Dried cranberries + white chocolate chips…..my favorite and the original
Dried blueberries + “”
Dried cherries + “”
Dried currants + “”
Dark chocolate chips
Almond with a powdered sugar glaze.
Dates…. for the more traditional folks. The husbands favorite!
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
6 Tbsp. chilled butter
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried fruit, chips, or combo…. I tend to do a little extra 🙂
1. Mix together the dry ingredients.
2. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or I just use my kitchen aid).
3. Add wet ingredients.
4. Add your choice of dry fruit, nuts, or chips etc.
5. Place dough on a floured surface, knead in some extra flour to make not sticky. Dough should be moist but not sticky.
6. Roll out into a circle and cut like a pizza into 12 pieces. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
7. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 425 until just slightly golden. This is the key to having them stay soft! I cook mine until they are just done maybe the tip or corner might be slightly golden, but that is it.
Best enjoyed in the company of friends and a cup of your favorite coffee or tea.